FlexiVan and the North American Chassis Pool Cooperative (NACPC) are pleased to announce the establishment of a new cooperative chassis pool for the Port of New York and New Jersey. The pool is expected to commence operations during the first quarter of 2018.
The Open Choice Equipment Agreement - Northeast (OCEA-N) is a port-wide gray chassis pool servicing major cargo, freight and equipment handling facilities in the port complexes of New York and New Jersey.
OCEA-N will be governed by the NACPC FlexiVan Chassis Pool, LLC and operated by a single pool manager. It will be open to participation and contribution by any other equipment providers that meet the basic contributory requirements.
OCEA-N is designed to meet the requirements voiced by NY/NJ users and stakeholders, namely:
- Contributory pool that is open to participation by any qualifying chassis supplier.
- Fully interoperable chassis fleet with port-wide coverage.
- "Open Choice" allows all users to negotiate with and select the chassis provider of their choice.
- Premium equipment - Radials and LED.
- Business rules that encourage continued equipment upgrades.
- Open choice refers to the right of a motor carrier or shipper to select their preferred chassis provider. As an example, most pools operate under "box rules" where the ocean carrier dictates the chassis provider (both for carrier haulage and merchant haulage moves), even when they are not responsible for the costs. OCEA-N does not prevent or limit choice, but rather the motor carrier, BCO or other responsible parties are free to select the chassis provider of their choice.
OCEA-N and FlexiVan's NERP pool will be interoperable on day one. It is hoped that other chassis pool operators will also agree to participate within the OCEA-N pool and thereby provide the NY/NJ port with a single port-wide grey pool, yielding the same advantages to all stakeholders.
Request a Quote
NACPC Premium Chassis: Lookup Tool
Search for NACPC Premium Chassis on ChassisManagementSystem.com
- Enter chassis number (e.g. NAPZ800326)
- The Pool will be identified as an abbreviation in the “Pool” column (e.g. GPCP for Houston Premium Chassis, SPCP for Savannah Premium Chassis)